With text-to-donate, you can select a keyword, and when your supporters text that keyword to 41411, we'll automatically send them a link to donate to your campaign or charity.
You can even use this feature to make it easy to register for an event or purchase a ticket. We'll just help you replace the donation URL with your registration/checkout URL.
- Select a unique keyword of 5-15 characters (eg. GIVEBACK).
- Write a short blurb for the reply text that we'll send to your supporters. For example, "Help provide meals to families in need this holiday season. Tap to make a donation.").
- Note the campaign/page URL where you want to collect donations.
After you've decided on the above, please contact us and share those details.
Why use text-to-donate?
Easy for supporters
Supporters simply text your unique keyword to 41411 and our service returns a direct link to your campaign’s donate flow.
Custom donation amounts
Text-to-donate provides donors the option to give the amount they want instead of being limited to a set amount.
The increasing popularity of one-tap payments means even faster checkout for your donors.
We'll set up tracking so that you can track the use and effectiveness of your text-to-donate experience in your GoFundMe Charity report center.
Text-to-donate tips & best practices
The success of a text-to-donate campaign hinges on your ability to get the word out about your keyword. Make sure your supporter base knows how quick and easy it is to donate with just a simple message using your keyword.
Choose a strategic keyword
Make your keyword short and memorable, so it's easy to remember and less likely to be misspelled. Good examples include: “ROSES2019” and “PENCILGALA”
Put your keyword everywhere
Advertise your keyword in as many places as possible, both online and offline. Here are our favorite examples:
- Film a short, 1-minute video demonstration on how to use text-to-donate to demonstrate its ease of use.
- Create fliers to hand out before and during your event with your keyword and the number to text.
- Take out ad space on a local media outlet, like a community website, to display your call to action.
- Use a projector to display the keyword and number to your supporters at your event.
- Print stickers with your keyword and number for supporters to wear at your event.
- Print t-shirts and other event memorabilia (e.g napkins, cups, signage) with your unique keyword included.
- Have staff and volunteers place the keyword in their email signatures.
- If you have a live event, like a race or walk, consider printing the keyword on the starting and finish lines, signage in the parking lot and bumper stickers.
Incorporate sponsors and matching donations
Ask sponsors or corporations to match donations made through text-to-donate. A matching component can multiply the impact of your donations and encourage your donors to give.
Thank your donors
Thank your donors sincerely and promptly after a donation is made. Make sure they feel connected to your mission while you express your gratitude. If possible, relate their contribution to a tangible impact.
Leverage donor data
Review the data you collect over the course of your text-to-donate campaign. Identify new donors, large gifts, and repeat donations. Donor data from campaigns using a text-to-donate keyword are available in your report center.