In the event that a donation is made without the permission of the cardholder, we want to protect both charities and cardholders. Unauthorized donations increase the risk of refund requests and chargebacks.
Donors, if your card was used to make a GoFundMe Charity donation without your permission, please contact us immediately and send us the following details:
- The last 4 digits of your card number
- The company that issued your card
- Your name as it appears on the card
- The date of the charge
- The amount of the charge
Our Payment Review team works alongside our payment partners to prevent unauthorized use of cards on our site, and in the event that a card is compromised or a donor suspects that their card is compromised, we'll investigate immediately and return the money to the cardholder.
Organizers, here are a few things to watch out for that can help you help us protect your campaign from unauthorized donations:
- Donor names that don't seem to be real people or organizations.
- A large number of donations are under the same name without explanation.
- A donor asks for a refund outside of the GoFundMe Charity platform, through a method such as PayPal, wire transfer, or an online payment app. (If a donor wants a normal refund, just reach out to us, and we can take care of it.)
If you see any of the above on your campaign, please contact us immediately. We’ll be happy to review those donations with you and answer any other questions you may have.