GoFundMe Charity partners with both PayPal Giving Fund and WePay to process donations and send payouts to charities.
If you’re an administrator of a charity account, you can choose which payment partner you prefer. If you do nothing, and your organization is a 501(c)(3) public charity, donations and payouts will automatically default to PayPal Giving Fund.
If you’re not an administrator of a charity account, you won't have control over the charity's payout preferences. Instead, you can be confident that the money you raise will be sent to the charity automatically, according to their preferences.
Differences between PayPal Giving Fund and WePay
- Available for 501(c)(3) public charities only
- For enrolled charities, funds are paid out monthly to their PayPal account.
- For unenrolled charities, funds are paid out by check within 90 days of the donation date.
- Enabled by default
If a charity takes no action on GoFundMe Charity or PayPal Giving Fund, they'll automatically receive check payouts from PayPal Giving Fund sent to their address on file with GuideStar. Please refer to this article if you need to change the check mailing address.
- Available for all US nonprofits and Canadian registered charities
- Funds paid out by electronic funds transfer, which takes 2-5 business days, or check, which takes 10 business days.
- Select daily, weekly or monthly payout frequency
- Charity admin must actively set up WePay if they want to use it instead of PayPal Giving Fund.
WePay is recommended if a charity prefers more frequent withdrawals or doesn't use PayPal.
Enrolling in PayPal Giving Fund
A financial administrator of the charity can choose to enroll in PayPal Giving Fund to receive monthly payouts to their PayPal account instead of the default check payouts with the steps below:
- Create a PayPal account or make sure that the charity's existing PayPal account is upgraded to a business account: https://www.paypal.com/bizsignup.
- Confirm the charity's status here: https://www.paypal.com/charities. After submitting the required information, PayPal will follow up by email within three business days. Move on to step 3 here after receiving PayPal's confirmation email.
- Enroll in PayPal Giving Fund here: https://www.paypal.com/givingfund/enroll.
Setting up WePay
Go to Account Settings > Banking to set up WePay or edit your existing WePay settings (available for charity account admins only).
Once you've set up WePay initially, you can also access settings and transaction/payout reporting directly through WePay's website.
Please note that your WePay login information (email and/or password) may be different than your GoFundMe Charity information. Feel free to contact us if you'd like help remembering which email address is connected to your WePay account.